Home : Then & Now
The Victorian-era Leland Stanford Mansion, after a 14-year, $22 million restoration and rehabilitation, is now open to the public. The Mansion serves as the State’s official address for diplomatic and business receptions as well as offering public tours as a California State Historic Park.
Built between 1856 and 1872, the four-story, 19,000 square foot Mansion has special historical and architectural significance. It served as the office of three governors during California’s early years: Leland Stanford, Fredrick Low and Henry Haight. It was also the site of California’s first presidential visit by Rutherford B. Hayes and General Sherman in 1880. The Mansion was acquired by California State Parks in 1978.
MORE HISTORY >>